Southern Palawan

Aborlan, Palawan

How Aborlan got its name has many legends. One traces its origin to the "Abelnan", a legendary tree belonging to the gods, who inhabited the place. Another tells how two men who went fishing for the first time in Aborlan. They where frightened by the rise and fall of the tide, so they asked Abenlan? from which came...

Narra, Palawan

Was originally a resettlement for landless people from Luzon. On June 18, 1954, Republic Act 1160 approved the creation of national Resettlement Rehabilitation Administration (NARRA) from which this municipality took its name, It was only on June 21, 1969 when Narra was created as separate municipality ...

Sofronio Española, Palawan

Created on June 5, 1995, this municipality was formerly part of Brooke's Point.

Brooke's Point, Palawan

Named after Sir James Brooke who discovered the place. Formerly known as "bonbon", Broke constructed watchtower on the shore overlooking the sea. This historic structure stands as a tribute to the marvels of Sir James. The town was officially declared as a separate municipality on

Bataraza, Palawan

It was named after the late Datu Bataraza who first discovered the land. The municipality was created by House Bill No. 573 which on June 18, 1961 became Republic Act No. 3425. Three miles away by boat from Rio Tuba is the "Bird Sanctuary" or Ursula Island, where one may enjoy ...

Balabac, Palawan

Since time immemorial, Balabac was called " Molbog" after a tribe that inhabits the place. However, the fact that the town is "Balagbag" (crosswise) in its relative position to mainland Palawan can better explain its name.

Quezon, Palawan

This municipality was formerly Alfonso XIII. Created on May 15, 1951 by virtue of Republic Act 617. It was once a barrio of Aborlan, Palawan. At the time of its discovery or thereabouts, this place was known as Magdalig-daling, Mono and Tokus because the natives believed it was an enchanted place.

Rizal, Palawan

This town was formerly known as Marcos. It came into existence when Batasang Pambansa passed a law creating the municipality on April 1983 through Bataas Pambansa Blg. 3836 on April 1998, the congress enacted Republic Act No. 6652, changing the municipality to Dr. Jose P. Rizal.

Kalayaan, Palawan

This municipality became part of the Philippine Territory on July 11, 1987 through Presidential Decree No. 1596 issued by the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos, declaring the surrounding waters as part of the Philippine territory and as a municipality under the provincial and administrative jurisdiction of Palawan.

Puerto Princesa City, Palawan

There are several theories as to the source of " Puerto Princesa". Legends attributes it to the appearance at certain time of the year of a princess with a rare beauty who would roam around the bay at night. Others insist the name was derived from the geographic value...


Northern Palawan

Agutaya, Palawan

This island municipality was formerly part of Cuyo but it was made into a separate district town during the later part of Spanish regime. Agutaya derived its name from the word "Aguanan", a kind of root growing abundantly in this place; yon is a kind of fish that also abounds in the seas ...

Araceli, Palawan

It is geographically located at Dumaran Island, some 108.5 nautical miles north of Puerto Princesa and is composed of 13 barangays. With 10,894 inhabitants, it has a total land area of 17,143 hectares. In 1961, the island of Dumaran was divided into two municipalities, the ...

Busuanga, Palawan

A former barrio of Coron, it came into existence in June 17, 1950 by virtue of RA 560, creating it as a municipality. Busuanga and surrounding areas are rich in history for, before Spanish came, Chinese traders were already trading their goods with the locality and had imprints their culture in to the natives.

Coron, Palawan

It is one of the four municipalities in Calamian Group and is the second northernmost municipality of Palawan. It covers the southern half of the island of Busuanga, the whole Coron Island, and the nearby small islets as far as Tara Island on the northeast and Canipo Island in the South.

Culion, Palawan

The municipality was formerly known as "Leper Colony" and was legislated into a municipality in February 1992 by virtue of Republic Act 7193 signed by Former President Corazon C. Aquino. Culion has a total land area of 42,692 hectares and is one of the islands in the Calamian Group.

Cuyo, Palawan

The town was first colonized by the Spaniards in 1622 by Count de San Agustin, and was made the 2nd capital of Palawan in 1873 to 1903 next to Taytay. It is an old Town in Palawan that despite progress has preserved its cultural heritage.

Cagayancillo, Palawan

or Little Cagayan is an island municipality of seven small islands. In the past, it was part of Antique and had traded with Negros Occidental before the American Regime. The municipality is rich in marine resources, nice beaches & reefs. Within its territorial waters is the Tubbataha Reefs which is...

Dumaran, Palawan

This island municipality is separated from the northern eastern coast of Palawan by the Dumaran channel. It is mostly rolling hills, very ideal for farming and raising cattle. Fishing is one of its major industries. The early settlers of Cuyo and Cagayancillo landed in this island in search of food. Later on, more and ...

El Nido, Palawan

This town became a regular municipality on 1916 and was formerly a barrio of Taytay and known then as Talindok since its inception in 1882. Chinese traders had been visiting the town long before Spaniards came. Its edible birds nest and tourism industry is very popular in international market.

Linapacan, Palawan

According to certain legend, the name Linapacan originally evolved from the word Reina Pacan, which means Queen Pacan. The story tells that a long time ago, when the Spanish missionaries arrived in this beautiful island, they saw a beautiful woman walking along the beach when they asked her name, she answered Pacan.

Roxas, Palawan

History tells that during 1919 some men from Cagayancillo agreed to go to mainland Palawan to cut Molave lumber for construction of boat. Later on, they found out that the place has many things to offer. They abandoned their plans and settled in.

San Vicente, Palawan

Was originally part of Puerto Princesa and the municipality of Taytay. It was only declared as a separate municipality of June 21, 1961. The Municipality has one of the longest beach in the country, the 14 kilometers beach shoreline of Barangay New Agutaya and Alimanguhan. It also prides of being a place ...

Magsaysay, Palawan

This town was part of Cuyo until 1963 when it was created into a separate municipality. History tells that before the Spaniards came into the islands there were existing black and gold smithing. But when the Spaniards landed and felt somewhat jealous they drove away the Chinese.

Taytay, Palawan

The town of Taytay derived its name from the word "Talaytayan". It is a native word for few pieces of bamboo or wood arranged together to serve as a bridge.

Folklore has it that it when the first Spaniards landed on this place they met a native while...